The York Small Business Enterprise Centre has opened the York Region COVID-19 Small Business Recovery Support Program for a third round of applications. The funding for this program, provided by The Regional Municipality of York, has been distributed throughout the region’s nine cities and towns in different ways as a result of a Regional Council decision made on June 25, 2020:
- If your business is located within the Towns of Aurora, East Gwillimbury or Georgina, you can start the application process by booking a consultation directly through this webpage.
- The program spots delegated for business located in the Town of Newmarket are now full.
- If your business is located within the Township of King or the Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville, please reach out to their Economic Development Offices for more information.
- If your business is located within the Cities of Markham. Richmond Hill or Vaughan, please reach out to their respective Small Business Enterprise Centres for a range of programs and support.
Our core services remain available to all businesses in York Region.
York Region COVID-19 Small Business Recovery Program
Are you an existing business with a brick and mortar location? Was your business affected by COVID-19 and is experiencing a loss in revenue? The York Region COVID-19 Small Business Recovery Support Program (BRSP) is here to help.
The program provides free training and mentoring opportunities to help local businesses adapt to the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition, it will also offer grants of up to $5,000 to help businesses adopt new tools, increase their online presence and implement your new business strategy.
What you can receive:
- Mentoring with a successful local entrepreneur
- Business training on topics ranging from creating and re-evaluating your brand, how can you effectively sell in this digital age, and COVID-19 recovery support
- Free business advisory services
- Business workshops and valuable networking opportunities
- Opportunity to apply for a grant of up to $5,000*
- Have not received a Starter Company or Starter Company Plus grant in the past
- For-profit business located in Aurora, East Gwillimbury or Georgina (program spaces delegated to businesses in Newmarket are now full)
- Not a commission based business or a franchise
- Not a not -for-profit or charitable enterprise
- Businesses must have been operating between one and five years
- Demonstrate a 30% reduction in revenue for the equivalent month in the previous year
- Operating a brick and mortar business
- Can demonstrate 25% cash or equivalent commitment to the business in the amount of $1,250
- Prepared to commit to monthly mentorship requirements for one hour a month for a minimum of three months
- Prepared to commit to the business training components of the program – 2 hours a week for 6 weeks
If approved for the grant, the eligible uses of funds include:
- Investments in development of new products or revenue streams
- Investments in enhancing digital presence of business (ie. executing digital marketing strategies, improvements or development of website)
- Hiring new employees
Funds from the program grant cannot be used:
- For the purchase or lease of a vehicle
- To service existing debts
- To make rent payments
- To cover general operating expenses
* The funding is considered taxable under the Canada and Ontario Income Tax Acts. A T4A slip will be issued to the recipient of the funding.
Fill out the form below and a member of the York Small Business Enterprise Centre will reach out and begin your application process. The deadline to apply is November 27, 2020.
For more information on this program, or if you’re having trouble with the form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The York Region COVID-19 Small Business Recovery Support Program is funded by Starter Company Plus, a Provincial entrepreneurship program that supports the establishment or expansion of small businesses. We thank the Province of Ontario for their support.